Saturday, April 29, 2023

My "Charade" Quilt

 I'm a big fan of Jittery Wings Quilt Co.  I have been wanting to try a few of Mitzi's patterns and was delighted and inspired when she announced that she would be offering a quiltalong to make her awesome pattern called "Charade".  I instantly bought the pattern, selected my fabrics and cut all my pieces beforehand for this one-block quilt and waited for the quiltalong to begin.  Well, I couldn't wait and sped ahead and completed my quilt quickly so I could move on to the next one. 

                                                                       60" x 72  

                                           

For the backing I used a print from Zen Chic Modern Background Color Box. 


 

I free motion quilted using Aurifil 40# colour 1148, light jade on the bottom and Aurifil 40# colour 2835 Med. Mint in the needle.  I had recently purchased an Aurifil Colour Builder called Blue-Throated Macaw with these colours included which were a perfect match.  Thanks to my thread dealer, SewKarenlyCreated  for always having a great selection and just what I need in Aurifil thread, my fave! 



For the quilting, I wanted something that would give texture and not compete with the design and I didn't want straight or organic lines.  I wanted something curvy, something different, so after a few days of thinking and trying out, I came up with using my Circle Cut curved ruler like a stencil and I pounced the design on with a chalk pouncer, like back in my handquilting days.  It worked wonderfully.  I love how it turned out.  I pounced and quilted each curvy design over two blocks, one at a time, so not to smudge or erase the chalk as I worked.  The chalk removes easily with brushing or ironing and also in the wash.  Took me 6 hours over 2 days to finish.   







Another one off my list!  I hope you had time to work on your project today.  😊




 

2 comments:

  1. Thats a lovely quilt and would be a great way to use 2 1/2" strips.
    pretty background fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt and the quilting works really well - I love the movement it gives. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.