Saturday, January 20, 2018

My First Quilty Finish for 2018!

My normal routine has been upset lately so I haven't been sewing very much.  My 90 year old Dad fell and broke his hip which required surgery and a hospital stay so I have been spending time with him and also making sure that my 86 year old mother gets back and forth to be with him.  A lot of uncertainty right now so it's one day at a time and keeping positive.  Sewing helps me do that!


I made four of the Preppy the Whale blocks by Elizabeth Hartman .  Two pink and two blue.  I like oversized designs so I enlisted the help of a very talented quilty friend who enlarged the whale pattern for me.  I had already used one of the whales, a pink one, to make this baby quilt for my great niece.

 and I used one of the blue ones to make a quilt for a special little baby boy who shall remain nameless as I want it to be a surprise.  Think I will make matching pillowcases with the remaining two whale blocks. This little quilt is my first finish for 2018. I don't have a name for it yet.  

43" x 48" 

The grey strips and border squares are from the scrap bin
quilted on my Pfaff QE 4.0 in free motion  and also using a preprogrammed serpentine stitch in every alternate grey strip with Aurifil 50# 


And the back.....This is called Hook Line and Sinker from the Dark and Stormy collection from Dear Stella fabrics with the addition of Kona Bahama Blue, which was also used for the binding
Sooo cute!  

I hope you get some time today to do something you love. 


16 comments:

  1. I hope your Dad is doing better Linda , I know how upsetting this is for you. Your whale quilts are simply stunning , you are so talented ! Love the backing too . Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is always so hard on our parents and us when something like that happens - I hope your dad will recover and that your mother is able to cope alright - love your whales

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! The quilting really brings it to life! Pillowcases will be perfect for the other two whales. I’m glad you were able to get some sewing/quilting time in. It’s such good therapy! And I’m so glad you posted! Please give your dad a little kiss on the cheek from me and your mom, a hug! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending hugs, Linda. Your whale quilts are fabulous - I love the bubbles you added over the blue whale, and your quilting is perfect!
    (Have to ask: does your mother read your blog?! You're telling everyone her age! Just kidding.:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am looking my marbles, I am really liking pink lately, I love the simplicity of Preppy the Pink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilts! Your latest finish is awesome! Sending prayers for your dad and the family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the larger Preppy. Probably a lot easier to piece than the smaller version. I hope your dad is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope things go well with your dad. Your latest finish is great. I like the larger whales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Beautiful finish! And the quilting looks great! Sorry to hear about your dad :( Hope his recovery goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely little quilt! 😊 I hope your Dad is healing well and your Mom is handling things well also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous work Linda. So sorry to read about your Dad's fall, I hope he makes a good recovery. My 90 year old Dad slipped on ice before Christmas and was very lucky to come away with just a grazed elbow and bruised ego! It is worrying though. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope your Dad's healing well. Lovely quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow such gorgeous work,i love the whales,you are very clever,well done.I am your newest follower i hope you will follow me too and we become friends. I pray your dad improves its a worrying time as our parents get older xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thinking of you! Your quilts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thinking of you! Your quilts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. Take care of Mom and Pop. They are so precious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.