Sunday, July 9, 2017

NSQBQ Round Robin 2017

I need to share with you what a wonderful day I had yesterday.  Just in case you don't already know, I am a member of the Nova Scotia Quilting Bloggers Quartet (aka NSQBQ).  The other three members are Sheila of Sheila's Quilt World and Lesley the Cuddle Quilter and Karen of KaHolly.  We all originally met through our blogging and since we all live in Nova Scotia, from Halifax to Plymouth to Port Hawkesbury to Isle Madame, it was a must to meet up in real life, which we did about 4 years ago and since that time we have been getting together to visit a few quilt shows during the summer and also each year, over the winter we work on a challenge project.  Over this past winter we worked on a Round Robin Challenge.  Each of us made a 12" pieced square and also included a few fabrics and then a 6" border would be added by each of the other members.  Here is a pic that Karen took just before I saw my result returned.  Do I look excited?  Youbetcha I was.  


Here is the end result...Isn't it just fabulous!!  Lesley added the first round..a wonky star shape with lots of negative space..she knows how much I love that!   The arrow border was added by Sheila.  She mentioned that she added it just before I published my arrow pattern. How in sync are we??? The final border was added by Karen.  Just fabulous!  pik-up-stik.. a favourite of mine.  She said that she was low on text prints (another fave of mine) so she made up her own.  Such a sweet touch!







I am so impressed with all  the personal touches. My friends have certainly captured me in fabric.  I can't wait to get this quilted up.  

Here is Lesley's end result:...

Karen made the first round...all those sweet little pieced scrappy spools and a pieced section as well and I made the next border, an intertwined addition.  Sheila made the fabulous outer border of hand stitched quilty sayings with pertinent appliques. I love the four corners with friendship stars. Her work is so amazing.  Lesley was over the moon with her result. Suited her to a "T"

  
Next up....our wonderful hostess for the day - Sheila -  who provided us with the best lunch imaginable and who shared her lovely home for the unveiling of our quilt tops. 
I added the first star border in the hopes of Sheila doing some of her amazing hand quilting and the next border, the flying geese in graduating sizes with cornerstones was added by Karen.  And finally, a sawtooth star border in all its scrappy glory was added by Lesley.  So pretty! So Sheila!


And lastly but not leastly, we have Karen's end result in the Round Robin.  The first border of meticulously hand appliqued hexie flowers was added by Sheila and next up, a border of colourful nine patches with black and whites was Lesley's contribution and finally, I added a raspberry kiss border in black prints with a background of a fabric with crosses that Karen had gifted to me.  Karen is all about colour!


and a group shot

Now we need to get these quilt tops quilted up and ready to show. 

 And now is a good time to announce that the NSQBQ will be participating in the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival this year.  The festival runs from October 10 - 14 in Amherst, NS.  The NSQBQ Quilt Show and Sale will be held at the Amherst Curling Club on Prince Arthur St. on Friday, Oct. 13 from 10 am til 5 pm and also on Saturday, Oct. 14 from 10 am til 3 pm.  We hope that you will come visit and check out all our quilts.  I hear there will be a free giveaway being held as well!  

Hope you have some awesome quilty friends in your life.  I am a very lucky person to have these three lovely ladies in mine.  😊


27 comments:

  1. What an excellent post, Linda! Now I have to go back and rewrite mine because yours is so good! They look better and better every time I see them. I can't imagine how different they will appear once quilted! We'll get to ooh and aah all over again! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Linda, it is a perfect summary of a perfect day! Love all the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure did a fabulous write up on our special day, I think i should just copy and paste lol .

    ReplyDelete
  4. they all look great and it is so nice to see photos of all you with your quilts, I follow Karen also

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for showing all the quilts! They're all so different, and just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been lucky enough to have fabulous quilting friends, but have never participated in a Round Robin. Each of your quilts turned out beautifully... and SEW different from each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful quilt Linda and so you! They are all stunning. You are so fortunate to have such a wonderful friendship. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda, what beautiful quilts from four creative and very talented ladies. Very special!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just popped in from Karen's blog... wow, this is such a great quilt top result for you Linda, very funky & fresh!
    Congratulations to all four of you - a celebration of sewing & friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sheila ,Karen and Lesley made the most perfect quilt for you linda.
    All four Quilts suit each recipeant...just gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each one is absolutely amazing! I love the great variety of designs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm enjoying seeing all your different round robin quilts. They're such fun, aren't they? And how in the world did Karen make that text print?! Gosh, did she hand write all those things (love that she did all your first names) herself?! Or maybe she used Spoonflower to have some fabric printed? In any case, I love her blocks, and I love your quilt center. It's a favorite pattern... I made an entire quilt from it that now hangs on our guest room wall. Have fun quilting your round robin!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Each and everyone......gorgeous. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. I first read about this on Karen's blog. So fun to see your take, too! What a talented group of friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You ladies are so very talented. They are all beautiful. Good luck with the show.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a super job you all did! Congrats to all the talented NSQBQ ladies! Can't wait to see you and all your quilts in Amherst. I love how Karen created her own text fabric! What a special touch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done everyone. you certainly do seem to know each other well and how to work together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They all are really great and it will be fun to see how each of you finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Linda,
    I love this!! The text print made by Karen is so special. What a lovely group you have - quilting community at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for showcasing all four quilts. I like the text fabric your friend made! Thanks for a picture of Karen, too. I don't think I've ever seen one in all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a special group of quilty friends! Each quilt is fabulous! I loved how they are all so different but so perfect for each person.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just popping over from Karen's, the quilts are all so wonderful and inspirational it makes me want to join in a round robin.

    ReplyDelete
  23. All RR are just fantastic! I was very hesitant to participate in the RR for my guild, but they have turned out great as well. It is kind of hard to come up with a border each month, though it probably is a good learning tool doing something challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was fun getting to see a few of these in progress, but I love getting to see them all finished! You guys are so much fun!

    (Kaholly's Crafty Daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for showing all the quilts! They're all so different, and just amazing.


    หีฟิต

    ReplyDelete
  26. What wonderful quilts. Thanks for sharing. Looks like everyone enjoyed their quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.