Thursday, July 3, 2014

Warm quilt, Cool quilt

I needed to kick back and take it easy today, so I sewed!  I have been super busy lately and needed some time to myself.  I have been wanting to make a Jelly Roll Race quilt for a while now.  I bought a Kona neutrals jelly roll at the Mahone Bay Quilter's Guild Yard Sale last spring.  It contained strips of cool greys and whites and warm beiges and browns.  I wanted to see how these tones would look all sewn together and a strippy quilt seemed just right.  I wanted to add some interest so I used a ModaMini called "Mixed Bag" that I have had kicking around for a while.  Perfect little 2 1/2" squares that I added in between each addition of the 2 1/2" strips.  No cutting! Sweet!
I like how it turned out and I think I will quilt this up for a special young man who will be leaving the province soon to study in Newfoundland and hopefully return to Nova Scotia as an electrician.  This special young man has been a friend of our family since he and my boys were in junior high. May add a border or two since this special young man is 6 ft 5". 


Hope you had time to do something quilty today!

10 comments:

  1. What a great male quilt. Yes, a couple of borders are definitely in order for such a tall lad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Linda, it's the perfect quilt for a young man. I love it!! And I love the new picture in your header. I have a long way to go before I can quilt like that! Practice, practice, practice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin' good, Linda! But you already know I'm partial to a strip quilt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great quilt. I like the idea of making it to fit him! Your trunk show slide show is fabulous! I am so impressed with the number and beauty of all your quilts. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT quilt for a young man, I'm sure it will be very special to him! I too love your Trunk Show slideshow. Thanks for posting it. I meant to ask you how it went. Looks like it was a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is a great male quilt, and I think some borders are in order for that young man! I have a jelly roll set aside to make one of these quilts, you may have just pushed me over the edge to doing this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great young mans quilt.... Look forward to seeing it when you add some borders..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.