Sunday, June 22, 2014

Scrapbag Sailboats

My latest project started out from a pile of scraps that I bought.  Not my scraps to begin with...but I felt the need to sew up someone else's scraps...I have a problem!  My challenge was to take this bag of scraps and add only one other fabric to make a small lap/baby quilt.  I love how it is turning out.  It isn't finished yet, I think the plan I have for the freemotion quilting will make this just perfect, for me anyway.   A modern quilting criteria of an alternate setting was also one of my challenges.  That did not come easy.  I started out with something entirely different but I didnt have enough fabric, so I just started to sew vertical strips together for each row,(in afterthought, maybe I should have made horizontal rows to mimic the ocean) ending or starting each row with a large sailboat motif. I couldn't cut up the large scraps of sailboats.  In the  alternate rows, Kona Snow,  I improv pieced sailboats.  I will do some freemotion quiltilng in the open spaces to compliment and finish with a scrappy binding.  I still have some scraps left over but I will just add those to my "Blue Bin" for future use.  
What fun!
PS:  Hello and so nice to meet you  Mary Farrow Sinclair (no blog)  See you in October!

13 comments:

  1. It is wonderful Linda , you made great use of those scraps and I love the improv sailboats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Linda. I like the vertical blues- just think of really tall waves! lol Rough seas for sailing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cute, Linda! I was wondering how you were going to use up those scraps...such a neat layout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy sailing, creative one! You rock! Can't wait to see how you quilt this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! You're quite creative, and the blues and sailboats are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job. I see lots of fun quilting spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a great maritime feel to it - love it - you've done a wonderful job with your bag of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, you never cease to amaze me!! Looking forward to seeing the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only you can buy a genuine bag of scraps and turn it into a bit of improv genius. Guess that's why they call you the Scrapmaster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you made out of those sailboat scraps Linda.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.