|The blue strippy panel on the left hand side is a jelly roll race quilt top that I made and didnt like so I cut it up and used it in other projects. This the last panel. The text print is by Lori Holt from the Bee Backing collection.|
When I say super happy I mean a super duper kind of happy. Jumping up and down happy!
See all that Kona Midnight in the borders and the binding, not to mention the raging reds..well, here's how that went....
1. pretty sure none of the fabrics in this scrappy delight were prewashed. so what could I do? just went for it...threw it in the washer with 6 colour catchers a small bottle of Synthrapol and cold water
2. looked fine after first wash, although colour catchers were black. I didn't see any amount of bleeding that worried me , figured the colour catchers caught it all, so into the dryer.
3. Post-dryer...Screaming could be heard...It was me! My quilt is soft and cuddly but littered with huge blotches of navy blue and RED dye bleeds all over the front and right through to the backing. I am upset!
4. Remembered a post about how to save a bleeding quilt by Suzy Quilts. Immediately filled the tub with the hottest water, added a cup of Dawn, 6 colour catchers....add quilt....Water is immediately black.
5. Drain tub, repeat. I repeated this 4 times until midnight and I went to bed and dreamed all night about my ruined quilt.
6. Morning. Drain tub. put quilt into washer with more colour catchers. crossed my fingers and hoped for a miracle.
7. After soaking for 22 hours, my quilt came out PERFECTLY BLEED FREE! not a speck of dye. Talk about super duper happy!
Yes. It takes a long time but it works!
Lesson learned about prewashing certain fabrics and not trusting to luck, but also I won't get quite as upset about dye bleeds anymore as I know they can be removed.
My "Golden Oldie" quest is nearing the end. Working on an applique quilt right now and then one more after that (Another reversible one) . I am getting anxious to finish and move on to other things but so nice to have this giant UFO monkey off my back!!
Have a quilty day! 😊
ps...I may have overdone it with the Dawn dish liquid but I was desperate.