Friday, June 29, 2018

What's Happening

 I want to share with you my latest finish.  This is my creation as part of my lovely little guild's Executive Challenge for this year.  The challenge was to take a traditional block pattern and put a modern spin on it.  I chose ShooFly and here is my modern take.  I made 3, 6 and 9 inch shoofly blocks in an array of solid colours, bordered them to bring them up to 10 1/2 inches unfinished and then sliced them through the middle horizontally and then mixed up the tops and bottoms and sewed them back together. The solid fabrics in the blocks and the two inner borders and sashing are all Kona Solids and the prints in the blocks are "Modern Marks" by Christa Quilts.  And for the last border...my fave...Nummers.   I free motion quilted back and forth, this way and that way.  What fun!  And finished up with pieced binding.  
"3, 6, 9 - It's Shoo-Fly Time"










For thread...I used  Aurifil #50wt  colour 2975 a deep gold in the blocks.   This colour was amazing!  I will definitely be using it in future projects.   In the dark grey border I used Aurifil #50wt colour 5004 and Aurifil white #50wt in the white borders and in the bobbin.  





Hope you get time to create something today! 😊

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica! I especially love the 3" one. so cute!

      Delete
  2. Totally modern!! Varied block sizes and solid fabrics make it interesting. The split and reassembled blocks take the design factor over the top. AWESOME job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! I have to say that it is not what I started out to make and I changed gears in the middle of sewing it up and I am so glad I did.

      Delete
  3. Awesome modern quilt! Love the bold bright colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, Thanks! Very bold colours for me but I love how it turned out.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous modern twist on the shoo fly block Linda..
    Amazing quilting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria! The quilting part is always my favourite.

      Delete
  5. That was a great idea. I like the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michele! I had a great time planning and finishing up this quilt.

      Delete
  6. You all ready know I head over heels in love with this quilt! It’s a winner! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. You do such wonderful work, Linda. I do have to wonder how much of that Nummers fabric you bought! :) Happy Canada Day to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish. I wish I had been at the meeting to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt Linda - and also how you've quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting idea that is! Play-worthy, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.