Thursday, September 14, 2017

There's a mystery on PEI !

It's been a few years since I participated in an on-line mystery quilt  sew-along.  Time has passed and I remember how much fun I had so I decided to follow along with the PEI Modern Quilt Guild who have just started a mystery on September 1, so if you are interested you can still check out the details, choose your fabrics, and jump right in. Here is my fabric selection for the mystery sew-along.  A fat quarter bundle of Amy Butler "True Colour",  for background I chose Kona "Robin Egg" and for accent I chose Kona "Pepper.  




There is a traditional option in a few different sizes as well as the modern . The first clue requires participants to make half square triangles.  I am working on the modern option (end result is a 72" x 72" quilt) which requires 112 x 3 1/2" hst blocks. 

I chose to make my hst blocks using the Easy Angle Ruler by Sharon Hultgren.   Here's a video that shows how to use the ruler. I sped up the process by layering two strips together carefully and cutting four at a time.  I always sew a sample or two and make adjustments if needed,  to make sure my seam allowance is perfect before chainpiecing.  Accurate sewing is a must with this method. With this method, there is no drawing of lines or trimming. Just clip the little bunny ear and you are done! 

There is a link-up each month, with prizes!  I am looking forward to the next clue on Oct. 1.  

Hope you get time to do something quilty today! 😊


11 comments:

  1. Fun! I think I am going to like participating in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your technique to make the HSTs! Your fabric selection is gorgeous and I love the background colour you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like fun! I'll have to pop over and check it out. Your fabric selection promises to make up a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see how your quilt grows into something spectacular...as it always does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice fabrics you have chosen Linda, I am sure you will create a wonderful quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabrics! I seen your post and decided to join in on the fun. I picked out my fabrics yesterday from my stash and only had to purchase the background. I can't wait to see what the mystery will be :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Mystery Quilts - looking forward to seeing how this one develops. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on the mystery quilt! It will be interesting to see the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the shout out. Glad to have you playing along with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I planned to play along, but got sidetracked. I think I have that ruler. Might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.