Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Quilty Hug for Callen

One of my secret sewing projects was gifted today, so I can finally show you.  I made a cuddle quilt for my second cousin, Callen. He will be turning 6 soon and I figured I had better get going on making his quilt or next thing I know I will be making him a wedding quilt!  Callen has been in and out of hospital more times than I can count and one of those times included a kidney transplant.  He is a beautiful, loving boy who makes it through all the hardships he has to face with the love and care of amazing parents, grandparents and lots extended family.  

Here is a great big quilty hug for Callen:



Callen told me he loves wild animals.  I found a fabric that had rows of elephants and zebras.  I then cut out the rows and added Kona Denim between the rows along with some Kona Sunflower.  Added borders to make it bigger and bound it in the yellow.  I free motion quilted it with wavy horizonal lines . I didn't get a pic of the back but it is pieced with a row of zebras and some Kona Slate.  And, of course, a label with lots of pertinent info. Oh yes, I also made him a matching pillowcase. I enjoyed making this quilt a lot.  And Callen really seemed to like it too.  He immediately jumped on it and pulled it around his shoulders and wanted to read a book.  That's what making quilts is all about for me.  


16 comments:

  1. I agree that one of the greatest joys is in the giving of quilts. Callen looks quite happy to receive his!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special gift for a special boy! Happy birthday Callen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Callen. He is a cutie with an infectious smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's adorable! How nice that he has that amazing cozy quilt to cuddle up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome quilt. It sounds like he really likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome story and I know Callen will cherish this sweet quilt you have made just for him. Great job Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet Callen loves his quilt sounds like the little guy has been through a lot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless his sweet little heart. That is too much to go through at such a young age. His quilt is just beautiful and I can see that he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, sweet quilt for a charming young man.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fabulous, Linda. Love the fabrics you've chosen and you've made it a size that will allow him to grow into it. Awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Linda, I have goosebumps! Callens quilt is perfect! You never cease to amaze me! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. That smile says it all!!! Happy Birthday, Callen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely quilt! I agree, seeing a quilt be loved and used is one of the most fulfilling parts of making it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the perfect quilt for a wild animal-loving boy! I'm sure he'll always treasure it. Love his big smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's exactly what making a quilt is all about. Beautiful story and quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look at the smile on that sweet boys face! What a wonderful moment that must've been when you saw his reaction to such a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.