Friday, January 20, 2017

"A Patch of Geese"

My second finish for 2017 came together very quickly.  A quilty friend asked me to make her a wallhanging to hang above her sofa and she said she wanted modern and flying geese and negative space and free motion quilting on Essex Linen as the background.  How could I resist.  Just a small project so I figured I could squeeze it in with no problem.  From start to finish, it took me 9 days to make this quilt. That's a record for me!

 For the first time, I tried the No Waste Flying Geese method.  It worked perfectly for me.  My geese ended up measuring 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" each.  The solid colours are FreeSpirit.  The Essex Linen is Natural.  For thread, I used Wonderfil Konfetti 807- 50# cotton with a Superior Titanium Topstitch needle size 100/16.   I started out with an 80/12 needle but that broke and so did a 90/14 so I switched to a 100/16 and it was smooth sailing after that.  My first time quilting on linen.  I spray basted and pinned.  I really didn't find it difficult to quilt once I got the needle size figured out.  I added tabs for hanging, as per request by Chris and also a scrappy binding.  The backing is a solid piece of FreeSpirit in a straw yellow.

"A Patch of Geese"











Hope you had time to do something quilty today!

17 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely! Your quilting is stunning as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your modern flying geese.. great quilting..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous and I love you you carried the goose design on in quiltinh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and I love you you carried the goose design on in quiltinh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and love how you quilted it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! She must be so pleased with your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous finish! Love the colours and the quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is lovely - I do love flying geese and beautiful quilting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. The geese and quilting are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the "ghost geese" quilted into the negative space!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely quilt, I'm sure your friend was thrilled with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Like Louise, I love the ghost geese!! Absolutely stunning, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this Linda! I had not seen that process for creating multiple flying geese. It is so efficient. Thanks for linking back to the tutorial. I pinned it for later on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out really wonderful. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.