Thursday, August 6, 2015

Throwback Thursday #1

My MMQG guild mate and quilting friend,Jennifer @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge is hosting a fun link-up party that starts today.  It's called Throwback Thursday and will be held the first Thursday of each month.  For all the info you can go here and check it out.  And here is the link to Jennifer's blog post from today where you can read all about her special quilt and link up your post.  There is a pretty sweet giveaway going on too!

For my Throwback Thursday #1 quilt, I am going to share with you the quilt that got me started with blogging way back in 2008. I wanted to share this quilt at the time and blogging was the way to do it.    
I see this quilt everyday because it is the quilt that I sleep under every night.  Even in the summer, it is on my bed.

                               "Welsh Beauty"  queen size 









here you can see the binding choice




Here are the details of this quilt that I copy and pasted from my blog post of Feb 24, 2008

"Finally!
I started to handquilt this on April 9, 2005 (Mike's 53rd Birthday)
I finished the quilting on November 9, 2007 (2 and 1/2 years later)
It was totally complete on February 24, 2008!
I bought the printed quilt top at Avonport Discount Fabrics in Avonport, N. S.
The backing was 120" wide gorgeous muslin purchased at The Cotton Patch in Bedford, N.S.
The batting was Hobb's Heirloom Cotton ( I did not prewash this)
The thread was Gutterman 100% Cotton quilting thread Colour No. 1225 (dark taupe)
I made a 3"wide double fold binding from a 100% cotton in a dark taupe small paisley fabric
The binding was sewn on by machine and handstitched to finish
I kept track of my time spent on the handquilting and it totalled 180 hours!
I really dont think I could sell this quilt. It is priceless to me."

So, from these details I am reminded that Mike ( RetiredHub)  is now 63! and it took me almost 4 months to get the binding on this quilt!

 Once in a while, if we have guests I will put it on the spare bed.  I have washed it a few times and it looks as good today and it did way back when!

So, I am linking up with Jennifer for Throwback Thursday .   Pop over and check it out.  

Hope you have a quilty day!

14 comments:

  1. This quilt is freakin' amazing. I agree that is is priceless. No wonder you had to start a blog to show it off! Thanks so much for linking up with Throwback Thursday and for plugging the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That's a lot of hours. The quilting is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilting is beyond gorgeous. I admire your tenacity and courage. With my luck I'd spill red wine on it just as the last stitch was tied off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really gorgeous. It was well worth the time you spent and I'm glad that you continue to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow,mLinda,I'm am in awe! It's a beauty! You've come a long way, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm picking my jaw up off the floor! The picture over at Jen's blog drew me in and then to read that you hand quilted it? Beautifully done! I love that you are using it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzers! I was so impressed with the quilting and then I read that it's HAND quilted!!!! The texture is amazing. What a beautiful heirloom you've created! I agree with Jenn, this is definitely show-off-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy!!! This is just plain gorgeous! The work, the quilting and you use it too! Pure perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is fabulous! So glad you became a quilter so we could meet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive! I have a wholecloth on my bucket list - yours is spectacular. It is extra special since it brought you to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always in awe of the time and patience quilts like this require! This is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is definitely a lifetime achievement quilt! STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I absolutely love this one, Linda. So elegant and beautiful! Lots of love went into this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! That is a stunner! Beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.