Monday, April 13, 2015

Jamie's Quilt - DONE!

I have finished the last of the four projects of my "March is Machine Quilting Month" goal. So it took me a month and half...not bad, I say!    Just needs to go for a round in the washer and dryer and then sew the label on and I will be able to give it to my nephew, Jamie.  He is currently in New York City on a business/pleasure trip and I can't wait for him to get home so I can give it to him.  He is in the midst of obtaining his doctorate in audiology so I named his quilt, "DECIBEL" as I am sure he deals with a lot of those during his day.  I have chosen to leave the black parts unquilted.  I think it works just fine.
"64 x 80"



Here is a shot of the back.  I made the strip in the centre from scraps of the front.  So nice to be able to finally take a photo on the back deck.



Here are a few closeups of the quilting.


  I used Aurifil 50# thread , colour #2024 (white). I love Aurifil  thread because of the thinness and the fact that it is very lint free which is good for your machine.  Also, you can wind a lot more on a bobbin and that helps so much when machine quilting on your domestic.
For a needle, I used my favourite, Superior Titanium 80/12 topstitch needle.( I actually use a topstitch needle for all my sewing) The quilting went along like a dream. Although, my shoulder is very sore that past few days from intense quilting.  Note to self...take more breaks!
I experiment with different threads and needles a lot, but I find this combo works very well for me when quilting larger quilts. I trust that it will be problem-free so I can get the job done and be happy with my results.
This is my personal preference only.  I think experimenting is essential for quilters and the best way to find out how different thread weights and needle sizes work.  There is such a lot to know.

And..the label.   I love this part of quilting.  It's like sending a piece of me off into the world (corny, I know)



I also wanted to show you a lovely strippy quilt that my QuiltySister in Qatar made.  She was really inspired to get some quilting done after her visit here not long ago.  All machine quilted and bound!

Jelly Roll Race quilt 
I am getting very excited to visit Vancouver soon. I have been checking out where all the quilt shops are of course!  If you think there is anything I must see, please let me know.

Hope you have a quilty day!  I am!


18 comments:

  1. Your black and white quilt is beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decibel is beautiful-both front and back.

    I also like that strip quilt. She did a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilting you did on Decibel! My DH doesn't understand when I tell him that quilting is hard manual labor. Have fun in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt, Linda. I'm sure your nephew will just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He will love it, Linda! It's very striking - and it has a great name! I'm also experimenting with Aurifil for quilting too -and love it! Well done to your quiltysister on her finish too - it's lovely! Have fun in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great, Linda! I'll have to give that topstitch needle a try for quilting... never done that. Here's a tip for you... :) When I'm doing a piece with a lot of intense FMQ, I make myself get up from the machine and move around whenever the bobbin runs out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the finish! I'm sure your nephew will love it.
    Enjoy Vancouver, bring back some warm weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finish ; ) that backing is a favourite

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS, Linda!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!! You finished!! The back is just as sweet as the front!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice finish. Love the quilting. The jelly roll race from your quilty sister is very nice as well. Lots to see in Vancouver. I would suggest Gas Town. It is streets filled with shops and restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done!! It looks great. And quilty sister also did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your nephew is going to love his quilt! Glad to hear that your sister got her machine back in order and is sewing! Do you think she might give some improv a try?? I just love those jelly roll quilts.
    Have a great time in Vancouver!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your nephew is going to love his quilt! Glad to hear that your sister got her machine back in order and is sewing! Do you think she might give some improv a try?? I just love those jelly roll quilts.
    Have a great time in Vancouver!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Decibel quilt turned out quite nice!! Wonderful quilting on it and the label adds a great touch. Enjoy your trip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It does look stunning! And I love your sisters quilt too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That black and white quilt is striking, all the more so with your quilting on it! I love your sister's quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely quilt that DECIBEL! Enjoy your trip to Vancouver and don't forget to take in the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia. Lot's of inspiration in there. Oh yes and Van Duesen Gardens too! Oh and let's not forget "The Clothe Shoppe"; wonderful quilt shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.