I am really motivated these days and I am working on several projects at once. I am still waiting for a few signature blocks to get back to me so that I can finish up the backing for The Wedding Quilt.
So while I was working on that yesterday, I made another quilt top from a Kate Spain "Horizon" Layer Cake. I wanted to get my hands on some of this fabric line to make a new quilt for my daughter. I saw it on KS's website and knew my daughter would love this colour combo. I picked it up at It's Sew Time on Friday and came home and started looking for a pattern that would make good use of the layer cake. I hate to cut pre-cuts down too much so this large star pattern from Moda fit the bill for me. Here is the link to the instuctions.
The pattern uses 30 of the 42 - 10" precut squares. I will use the remaining 12 on the back. It went together really quickly. I used Kona White for the background squares. Think I will bind it in the dark blue shade that is used in the centre. It measures 72" square. Not sure how I will quilt this one yet...
I finished up the quilting on my Quilty Sister's red and green maple leaf quilt. I hate to even show you how it turned out. I did not enjoy working on this and I blame it all on the batting. It is a real mess! I quilted it kicking and screaming all the way. I used a Quilter's Dream poly batting. Just thought we would give it a try. The stretching was incredible and I have puckers all over the place. I should have stopped five minutes into the quilting but noooo...I had to keep going and just couldn't face unsewing all that machine quilting. Enough whining...It was the wrong project for this batting. I still have to bury a few threads and bind it and then put it to use. Quilty Sister will love it, I know!