Monday, February 4, 2013

My First Finish for 2013!


Finished - Feb. 2013  

Started September 1997!!
            
Yes, that's 15 1/2 years.  Wow!!


I was not a lover of hand applique when I started this Block of the Month way back in '97.  Actually, my skill level was very low and so was my patience. I had given up. But this quilt ended up being a collaboration between myself and my BQFF Kathy from Saint John, N. B.

  She is an "appliquer extraordinaire" and took pity on me. A few years ago,she generously offered to finish the applique for me so that this quilt would not be neglected and would eventually be completed.  When she finished the blocks I sewed the top together and then started the handquilting...few more years and it is now a Completed Quilt.  Just took it out of the dryer and it is very soft and cuddly. It measures 60 x 74.  Thanks so much Kathy for all your help to make sure that this quilt was a finished project.    Thing is, I made two other hand appliqued quilts in the meantime.  Oh well, go figure!

Look at those pointy leaves...Great job Kathy!

 


How old is your oldest UFO? 

8 comments:

  1. Your quilt is stunning! So glad your BQFF was able to help you along. Together you created a masterpiece and a wonderful project between friends. Sorry, but my oldest UFO is probably less than a year, since I started blogging! If there were older ones in the house, the dust bunnes must have taken them away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! I love the fall colors! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful Linda , I am so glad your friend helped you out and did the appliqué , it is stunning and your quilting is beautiful too! Ok if I am honest I have a quilt in progress since maybe 20 years , it is the bluenose and somewhere deep in the closet sits the blocks waiting for me to decide I should finish it . Pretty sad huh but I really was not into quilting then in fact not at all .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Beautiful quilt. You picked great colors back then! I have a UFO that was for my daughter's 18th birthday - she will be 32 this year (maybe I'll have it done in time for a future grandchild's 18th).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful and it is wonderful that you have a friend that helped you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a gorgeous quilt! so glad you finished ... so i could see it. doe is have a name? i'd like a pattern. my oldest ufo is 6 years old. i may never pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What joy to post a 'finish'. I would guess that my oldest ufos and a couple of Christmas tree quilts that I started at least 10 years ago. i think that I stopped when I realized I didn't have enough backing fabric. as If I couldn't have bought more, or pieced them, but that never occured to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.