Sunday, July 20, 2014

Are you a Pfaffie?

Are you a Pfaffie? I am! I have owned my Pfaff Quilter's Edition 4.0 for the past 5 years and I am still learning about it. I spend a lot of time trying new things to make my sewing and machine quilting better.  I research online a lot, I watch lots of videos and I practice and compare.   I am not an expert. I am just speaking of what I know from my own experimenting. 
I just want to share with you a few things, from time to time,  that I have found to make my sewing/quilting accurate and as close to perfection as I can get. I have been meaning to do this for a long time.  

To start with.....1/4" feet  

I own 4 different 1/4" feet for my QE 4.O
 
#1 - came with the machine (fabric skewed while sewing and no right guide)

#2 - bought it because I like the right hand guide feature (fabric still skewing while sewing)
 
#3 - bought it because of the increased width on the left hand side that covers the feed dogs completely. This feature
       seemed to fix the skewing problem and gave me better control and sewing was straight. 
   but all my piecing was coming up short so had to move the needle two clicks to the right every time in
        order to get the proper finished  measurement.

Finally, #4 - I am in love! This foot is called "The Perfect 1/4" Foot with Guide for IDT System"  and it is Perfect!
        I think what makes this one the best is the positioning of the right guide.  You can see the comparison in the photo.  The guide lays flat from front to back so that when the fabric edge is against it there is no where for it to slip under or out.  Keeps everything nice and straight . Great when chain piecing. 


I found a huge difference in the outcome of my blocks by using #4.  Huge to me.   Here is an example of an 8 1/2" block sewn with #3 and #4. 


Not happy with this!

Now that's what I like!



There are lots of ways to get a perfect seam allowance, and I have tried them all, but I love a foot with a guide. Just my personal preference.  So, to find one that works perfectly is a goal that I  have finally achieved and I am very happy piecer now!  One drawback... I found it difficult to use this foot while sewing on a binding...it kept snagging the batting.  No biggie..I will just use #3 for binding.  Accuracy is not super crucial when attaching the binding. 

Next time I will show you what I think of  the Pfaff free-motion quilting feet that I use.  

Also, I wanted to show you this book that I bought a few years ago.  It is a wonderful resource for any Pfaffie.  It's a few years old now and I use it a lot.  Think I  will check to see if there is an updated version. 

Remember, these are just my opinions and experiences.  I am not an expert by any means.  Just thought you might like to know what I think. 

Hope you had time to do something quilty today! 


7 comments:

  1. great post Linda! I am a Kenmore-e-ee as you know, but this type of explanation is so helpful! I definitely need to get more accurate on my 1/4". Maybe a new foot in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same machine you have, and I've had it for nearly 5 years! I have your #1 which I rarely use, and #2 which is in constant use. I may have to look for #4 as well. My seams are pretty decent, but they could certainly be better. Thanks for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do have a Pfaff, or two, but to date they are in circulation with my HV. The skewing of the fabric was a real drawback - I have #1 & #2 feet. I am going to have to look into #4! I am also really curious to see your take on free motion feet, because I am having "issues" there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I'm totally a Pfaffie! My machine is quite old, it's a Synchromatic 1216 from probably the early 80s. It has the built in IDT, which i absolutely could not live without. I would love to get foot #4 as I have the same problem with the fabric skewing to one side when I use the 1/4" foot (I also have foot #1 and foot#2).

    Where did you buy #4? I'm hoping somewhere online, so I can order it. Our local pfaff dealer in town is HORRIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant post Linda. Mines a Bernina and I am now definitely on the hunt for a new 1/4" foot. Thank you. xx PS I use my walking foot for attaching binding as it copes better with the extra thicknesses and has a 1/4" seam guide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely a Pfaffie! I love my machine which is an Expression 2038 and is at least 5 or 6 years old. I have been using a clear plastic 1/4" foot (without a metal guide) that I purchased for the Pfaff. I love that I can see the fabric as it feeds in along the red line marking the 1/4".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a Pfaffie. I have three of them. One is an embellisher. Thanks for showing the difference a foot can make.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you and I really appreciate that you have taken the time to leave a comment.